29.9.08

Carl Sanburg Elementary "All School Cob" Project

Look at all the beautiful colors!

Alli and Uncle Tony discuss the finer points of mud!

Mr. Francis' class are cobbin away!

Alli and Emma get right to it!
soon enough the kids will get to enjoy the new bench
click to view gallery

With a grant from the Jaeneke Foundation, the 1st through 3rd grade students at Carl Sanburg Elementary School and I are doing a cob installation. We will work together with teachers, community members, and school family volunteers to create beautiful natural building art on the school grounds!

For me, this is a homecoming of sorts. I grew up in Charleston, IL, in fact, several of my teachers and parents of my friends, still teach at the school. Coming home to share a little piece of me is quite exciting! I have invited my brothers to help, Pat is coming from Seattle, WA, Nick, up from SIU, and Tim and his family are in town, together with friends and family, we have had a cob stompin good time with the students.


We had a very successful week of work with the students! Over 600 students and a wonderful mix of community volunteers made the project a wonderful experience for everyone! Check out the Times Courier write-up about the project

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Tony,
It's your Auntie Annie. Just read your blog about your time here in town. Your project turned out really cute. I love the colors in the inside roof. People are still talking about all the work you and the students did. Good Job! Come home again soon.
Love,
Annie

Tom Falby said...

Tony. Love the blog! Great to hear from you. get in touch if you got a big project and could use some h.s. students/energy! check out the website. I've sort of changed the focus to reflect my past two years experiences. www.offthecharttravel.com
tommy@offthecharttravel.com